User(s) browsing this thread: [Complete List] Share this
1 Guest(s) Pin on Pinterest Post on Tumblr Share on Myspace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marvel Comics NOW!
10-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Marvel Comics NOW!
anyone excited for the non-reboot of Marvel Comics?

For anyone who doesn't know, the Marvel Now 'event' involves the ending of pretty much every series, and the start of all-new series. much of Marvel's stable of creators is staying the same, but switching titles.

I had been reading trades for a while, but am using this as an excuse to go back to singles (either digital or hard copy) on much of the Marvel universe (though not as much as I'd like).

A few titles I'm looking forward to:
Jonathan Hickman (W), Jerome Opena (A) on Avengers
Brian Posehn & Gerry Duggan (W), Tony Moore (A) on Deadpool
Matt Fraction (W), Mark Bagley (A) on Fantastic Four
Matt Fraction (W), Mike Allred (A) on FF
and
Brian Michael Bendis (W), Steve McNiven (A) on Guardians of the Galaxy

some that I'm not looking forward to:
Kieron Gillen (W), Greg Land (A) on Iron Man (sorry, Kieron)
Brian Michael Bendis (W), Stuart Immonen (A) on All-New X-Men
and
Jeph Loeb (W), Ed McGuinness (A) on Nova

I'll have to wait and see on everything else (and hope that the ones I'm not looking forward to end up surprising me!)
10-30-2012, 12:35 PM
RE: Marvel Comics NOW!
No. I got so annoyed with all the multi-issue crossovers and tie-ins that I've given up on buying anything from Marvel or DC. I haven't been in a comic book store in about 4 years now.
10-31-2012, 04:01 AM
I feel your frustration! I left both for a while (over a decade), but found myself eventually coming back. There are still good stories being written, it's just sometimes hard to find them among all of the clutter.

I'm not a fan of the event-crossovers either, but they sure sell a lot, so I'm willing to bear with them if it helps to pay the bills and keep the other stuff going (I'm a huge fan of the cosmic side of both universes, but neither sells well compared to the crossovers).
10-31-2012, 08:46 AM
It's been a love/hate relationship between me and comics, ever since I was a kid. It happens about once a decade where I'll walk away. Then after 5 years or so, I'll get back into it. I was much happier with the independents, but the changes Diamond kept making would mean fewer and fewer of those would show up to my stores. After a certain point, I just couldn't find stuff I wanted to read. And I was tired of rewarding Marvel and DC for their shenanigans.

Anyway, I won't claim that I'm done with comics for good. I'm still reading some manga and graphic novels. I am, however, very interested to see how digital distribution develops. It's been making some good progress lately.
11-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I have been getting back in to comic not through the comic stories but through the buying of the electronic versions of the comics. though I have to say that there is a lack of presence of the independent comics in that format.
but with Moebius having dying, it means that my favourite comic book writer/ artist is no longer arouond to continue producing his stories that I loved the most.

A disturbance in my pants can only mean one thing. Invasion!
11-14-2012, 12:27 AM
It's interesting that the only two options mentioned are Comic shops and digital distribution. You can also mail order comics from secondary distributors such as Mailordercomics, Discount Comic Book Service or Westfield Comics. Anything available to Diamond can be ordered thusly.
11-14-2012, 11:31 AM
one of my friends back in the 80's use to get his Marvel comics shipped to him in the mail from marvel. myself, I ended up getting some of my comic shipped up to me through a comic store that was located in West Edmonton Mail.
on a side note to the comic store, the story showed up in a panel in a issue of Alpha Flight. the team got lured WEM where they got into a fight with a group of mutants that didn't make the cut to the team.

11-15-2012, 01:58 AM
I get pretty much everything shipped from DCBS at this point (there are no stores within 50 miles of me), or Amazon if I'm looking for something a bit older.

The problem (for me) with doing mail order (at least with DCBS) is that I have to pre-order sight-unseen. So, regarding Marvel Now titles specifically, I am ordering the first three issues of a title before I see the first. This by-and-large hasn't hurt me too much in the past, and I usually end up sticking with a title for at least the first story-arc anyway, but I'm always worried that I'm going to end up paying for several issues more in a title that's not for me
11-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Right now, I'm not interested in having individual issues shipped since I don't care about the main titles. And for new titles... well, right now, I'm not spending money on an unknown. I'm still picking up GNs of certain titles, but that's about it.
11-16-2012, 05:09 AM
(11-15-2012 01:58 AM)LAWNBUDDHA Wrote:  I get pretty much everything shipped from DCBS at this point (there are no stores within 50 miles of me), or Amazon if I'm looking for something a bit older.

The problem (for me) with doing mail order (at least with DCBS) is that I have to pre-order sight-unseen. So, regarding Marvel Now titles specifically, I am ordering the first three issues of a title before I see the first. This by-and-large hasn't hurt me too much in the past, and I usually end up sticking with a title for at least the first story-arc anyway, but I'm always worried that I'm going to end up paying for several issues more in a title that's not for me

that is becoming the biggest issue these days with trying continue to with getting comic books. I think that is probably the main reason that I started with going with the digital comics. though there is an absence of variety at this time with going whole digital. there is also the lack of the feel of having the comic book in your hand. on the upside I don't need to buy bags and boxes to store the comics in.